Monday, December 15, 2008

Revisiting the past

I visited my high school for the first time since I graduated. It was strange being there, almost surreal. The whole time I couldn't believe that I spent four years of my life there.  It's funny, I felt like I was physically too big for the place. 

Keep in mind, I was never someone who hated high school. I didn't particularly love it, either, but many fond and horrible memories occured in that building. I do believe that high school brought me one step closer to finding my own true personality and was key to my self-development.  

For so long, I always identified myself as a high school student. Visiting for the first time brought me to a rude awakening: I'm growing up.  For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to grow up.  However, now that my innocence and youth is quickly slipping away, I can't help but grip the life out of it and hang on. 

I feel my life has beena  fast-paced dream.  Perhaps Descartes' dream theory was correct. Maybe we're all just living in our own dreams, and this isn't real. But what I really think, what I truly believe is that we just want to believe that, so we can do everything in our power to keep from thinking that being a grown up is real.  

But it's happening, and we can't stop it. The only thing we can do is accept it and look forward to the future. 

No comments: